Something happened on Easter Sunday in Sydney that did not stay private for long. A van stopped short of a roadside test site. Seats were switched. Breath was tested. And a cricketer who played 112 Tests for Australia found himself at the centre of a legal story that followed him from Karachi to a courtroom in Sydney’s east. Tuesday was the day the court gave its final answer and result was David Warner Convicted and Fined.
What the Court Decided on August 18
David Warner appeared before Waverley Local Court in Sydney on Tuesday, August 18, 2026. He pleaded guilty to mid-range drink driving. Judge Clare Farnan convicted him and handed down the final sentence.
He was fined AUD 1500, the equivalent of approximately £1,109. He was also ordered to have an interlock device fitted to his car. The device will prevent his car from starting if it detects alcohol in his system. He left the court without making any comment to a large media presence waiting outside.
What Happened on Easter Sunday
The incident occurred on April 5, 2026, also Easter Sunday. Warner was driving his family home from a social function in Sydney’s east. Police had set up a random breath-testing site in the area.
Warner allegedly stopped his vehicle short of the testing site. He stopped his car when he saw the roadside breath-testing site and attempted to swap seats with a female passenger. Officers approached the vehicle. He was breath-tested and returned a reading of 0.104. That is more than twice the legal limit for driving in New South Wales.
He was arrested and taken to a local police station. He was formally charged with mid-range drink driving. He returned to Pakistan after being charged to resume his Karachi Kings campaign in the Pakistan Super League.
What the Court Heard
Warner’s barrister Awais Ahmad made submissions asking the court to spare his client a conviction. He argued that Warner had already suffered significant extra punishment through media coverage of the incident.
Ahmad told the court that his client’s indiscretion had been covered in global outlets including ESPN, Al Jazeera, and The Indian Express. He noted that countries including India and Bangladesh, where Warner might seek to play in T20 franchise leagues, have an acceptance of a non-drinking culture. He argued that commercial opportunities were being affected by the extensive coverage.
What the Judge Said
Judge Farnan rejected the application to avoid conviction. She accepted that Warner was unlikely to reoffend. She acknowledged his participation in therapy and a traffic offender program. She accepted that he was remorseful. She also considered a letter Warner had written to the court explaining the circumstances, which she described as thoughtful and reflective.
However, she said the need to deter the public from drink driving was paramount in her decision to convict. She cited figures showing that between 2022 and 2026, more than 17,300 people had appeared before local courts in New South Wales for mid-range drink driving. She also noted that the offence was aggravated because children were in the car at the time.
The judge said mid-range drink driving was one of the more common offences that comes before the Local Court. She said Mr Warner’s circumstances were quite common in that sense. She accepted that his decision did not have consequences for other people on that occasion but stated that regrettably, drink driving is still a significant factor in many crashes in New South Wales.
The Interlock Device Requirement
Warner will be permitted to continue driving. However, he must first apply for an interlock licence. He must have the device fitted to his vehicle before driving again. The interlock device works by requiring the driver to provide a breath sample before the car will start. If alcohol is detected, the vehicle will not start. The order runs for 12 months.
This is a standard penalty in New South Wales for mid-range drink driving convictions when the court decides to allow the offender to continue driving under restricted conditions.
Warner’s Cricket Career and Current Status
Warner retired from international cricket in January 2024 after playing his final Test against Pakistan. His Test career spanned 112 matches across 13 years. He scored 8,786 runs at an average of 35.25. He played over 250 limited-overs internationals for Australia. He was part of Australia’s 2023 ODI World Cup winning team.
Since retirement from international cricket, Warner has continued playing franchise cricket across the globe. He captained the Karachi Kings in the Pakistan Super League in 2026. His conviction raises questions about his future participation in franchise competitions in countries with strict legal or cultural requirements around alcohol-related offences.
The role franchise cricket has played in Warner’s post-international career, and how these leagues shape opportunities for retired international cricketers, is explored in our piece on the impact of franchise leagues on cricket.
BBL Captaincy at Sydney Thunder Now in Question
Warner holds the captaincy of the Sydney Thunder for the upcoming Big Bash League season. His conviction for drink driving has cast doubt over whether that captaincy role remains secure heading into the domestic summer.
Cricket New South Wales said in April, when the charges were first announced, that it would support Warner through the process and that he was aware of the seriousness of the incident.
Cricket NSW has a long-term partnership with Transport for NSW around road safety. The organisation was expected to make a further statement following the conviction. No updated statement from Cricket NSW had been published at the time this article was written.
Warner’s Statement Through Legal Representation
Warner did not speak publicly outside court on Tuesday. All communication was handled through his legal representation. His barrister made clear throughout proceedings that Warner was remorseful about his decision and had engaged seriously with therapy and the court’s programs.
The letter Warner wrote to the court was cited positively by the judge as evidence of genuine reflection. It remains a private document submitted to the court rather than a public statement.
What Comes Next for Warner
Warner can continue driving once the interlock device is fitted and the interlock licence is obtained. The 12-month interlock period is the primary ongoing consequence of the conviction beyond the fine itself.
His ability to travel and participate in franchise leagues in various countries will depend on how each jurisdiction handles foreign entry requirements for individuals with drink driving convictions. His barrister raised this concern specifically regarding India and Bangladesh. Neither country’s cricket board has commented on the matter.
The broader story of how cricket careers in the franchise era extend well beyond international retirement, and how individual decisions can affect commercial opportunities across multiple leagues, connects directly to our piece on the greatest IPL and PSL finals of all time, which captures the tournaments Warner has been a central figure in across different chapters of his career.
Conclusion
David Warner was convicted and fined AUD 1500 at Waverley Local Court on August 18, 2026 for mid-range drink driving. He must fit an interlock device to his car. He left court without speaking to media. The judge accepted his remorse and participation in rehabilitation programs while deciding that the public interest in deterring drink driving outweighed the argument for avoiding conviction. The legal process has reached its conclusion. The questions about his franchise cricket future across various competitions are now the story that follows.

